Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hidradenitis Suppurativa- The Battle Continues

I joined a Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support Group on Facebook cause I believe that learning about the enemy means you can fight it better. The people are all very nice. The worrisome thing is how many have other autoimmune disorders to go along with it. Lupus, Crohn's, Hashimoto's Thryroiditis.

Lovely. Because worrying about boils and cysts and infections and inflammations and unsightly scarring just wasn't enough.

I live with infection. Even when I was on crazy doses of antibiotics, I lived with infection. I know what topicals to use, what soap to use, how to pad it so it doesn't have me in pain all day.

It doesn't go away.

Incurable diseases don't go away. They can only be managed.

At least I haven't had to have surgery yet. Most do. Most have to have multiple surgeries.

Because it never goes away. And when I have a flareup, my immune system is fighting the skin infections so I catch every other bug that's around. So I'm continually running fevers.

This is my life. It could be a lot worse than it is. I'm managing just fine at the moment. I've been swimming in chlorine a lot so that dries out the skin and seems to be helping. I only have one lesion at the moment but it's been "healing" for about a month now. It's almost done closing.

And that's it for now. Keeping on, keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment